Whether you're trying to find out about off campus accommodation, paying a deposit, council tax or housing benefits we can lend a helping hand. We've packed all of the essential information on this page, but if you need further assistance don't hesitate to get in contact.

Click the links to find out more about:

Finding accomodation off campus

We recommend you rent an Accredited property. You can find these properties at Home Stamp . The landlords of these properties have voluntarily agreed to follow a code of conduct to ensure that their properties are managed properly and meet health and safety standards.

There is no need to rush!

The large number of students in Canterbury leads many to believe that there are not enough properties to go round, when in fact there is a surplus of rented accommodation. Although we would advise you against leaving your search for accommodation until the last minute, neither would we advise you to rush out and sign up for the first place you see. Take your time and make sure that you have found a place that is, among other things, affordable, in good condition and in the right location. You also need to be confident that, come September, you will still be on speaking terms with the people you are planning to share with!

Before you start looking for accommodation, take some time to read the information available through the links below.

Paying a Deposit

If you signed a tenancy agreement for an  assured shorthold tenancy and paid a deposit on or after 6 April 2007 your deposit will be covered by the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

Read more about this.

If your tenancy is covered by the scheme and the landlord has not complied with the rules, you can enforce your rights under the Housing Act 2004 by applying to the County Court.


Council Tax

If a property is occupied entirely by full time students it is exempt from council tax.  In order for the property to be exempt you must each get a certificate from Student Records and send it to the local council tax department. If you do not do this you will get a council tax bill.


Housing Benefit

Housing benefit for students can sometimes be paid, depending on whether you are a full-time student or a part-time student, as well as a number of other factors based on your individual circumstances. For full details, visit Shelter


Kent Union and University

List of letting agents

Kent Hospitality  


NUS  Housing Checklist

Government Publications

Assured and assured shorthold tenancies

Harassment and illegal eviction

Renting rooms in someone's home

Top tips for tenants: Assured shorthold tenancies

Advice from Shelter

Shelter- advice on housing rights and homelessness 


Home Stamp is a free service, run by Kent Union, that allows you to search for accommodation. We only advertised student housing which has received our stamp of approval. All our properties are managed by landlords who are concerned for your health, safety and welfare. Click here to start your search.