Extending your Tier 4 student visa in the UK

If your leave to remain as a student (pre Tier 4) or Tier 4 student will expire before you finish your studies in the UK, you will need to extend it. You must submit your application to extend your visa before it expires.  We recommend that you start prpearing for your visa application at least 3 months before your current visa is due to expire.  Do not wait until the last minute, as you will need a  Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number from the university before you can submit your application and you need to prepare all the documents you need to send with your application. This can take time!

There is a limit on the number of years you are allowed to study in the UK. If you have already studied in the UK with a Tier 4 (General) Student visa OR with a Student visa (the type of student visa issued before Tier 4 was introduced on 31 March 2009) you should check if your new course will take you over the maximum time allowed. If it will, you will not be eligible for a Tier 4 (General) Student visa. Before they can issue you with a CAS, the university will also check this.

For more information about caps on study please see the UK Council for International Student Affairs website: www.ukcisa.org.uk

If you are applying for a visa to continue a course you have already started at Kent, you must get your CAS from the Student Records  and Examinations Office. Please note that  they are very busy and they cannot issue a CAS more than 3 months before  your current visa ends, as they need to prioritise urgent cases. It normally takes them at least 5 working days to produce a CAS, but you may need to wait longer at busy times of year (this includes the summer).

If you are applying for a CAS after the start of the academic year, please do not request it  until you have paid your tuition fees, as these need to be included in the CAS.

If you are starting a new course, Admissions will automatically issue you with a CAS. 

To enquire about a CAS:

  • - ask at the reception desk in the Registry
  • - email: sturec@kent.ac.uk  or visit  (if you have already started your course at Kent), or
  • - email: admissionscas@kent.ac.uk (if you are starting a new course at Kent)
  • - You must also  provide a number of documents to support your application. 

Both we and the UKVI are extremely busy from September to January due to the high number of student visa applications. At busy times, it will take several months for your application to be processed by the UKVI.

Completing the Tier 4 application form.

The UKVI has  introduced  a new online application system for Tier 4.

You can find our guide to completing the online Tier 4 Application form here

To apply you need to:

  • Go to the  Tier 4 Student Online Application on the  UKVI website 
  • Click on "register" in the top right hand corner and follow the steps to create an account.
  • the UKVI will then send you an email for you to activate your account and log on
  • make sure that you keep a careful note of the user name, password and memorable word that you used to set up your account.  You will need these each time you log on.
  • Click  Apply online, Click on Forms A-Z,  then click T and select the  Tier 4 Student online application.  DO NOT use the Tier 4 Print and Send form as this is due to be deleted.
  • Click Apply online at the bottom of the page and fill in  the form


Save your answers to each section of the form.

Tick the box after the declaration but DO NOT click "Next"  if you want us to check your form, as you cannot change your answers. If we find mistakes you will have to start the form all over again.


The form is held on the UKVI website for 56 days until you submit it.  Each time you make a change to your form the 56 day period starts again.

If you want us to check the form for you when you have completed it, please do the following (in this order!):

1. Make an appointment to see an Adviser

2. Attend your appointment on time and bring with you:

  • The credit/debit card you intend to use to pay the UKVI Tier 4 visa application fee
  • A print out of your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).  The University will send this to you by email.  PLease print this before your appointment
  • 2 passport photographs- these must be no more than one month old. Please read the photograph guidance to check that your photographs are OK.
  • All of the documents listed on the form + translations if any of the documents are not in English.
  • Your UKVI login and password so that we can access your online form and you can submit your application and pay the fee after the Adviser has checked your form and documents.  Download a list of documents.

3.  At the appointment we will check the form and all your documents and take copies of all the documents for our files.

4.  If your application is complete and is ready to submit, you can make the payment to the UKVI during your  appointment and we will print off the cover sheet to post to the UKVI.

Sending the form to the UKVI

We can send the cover sheet and your documents to the UKVI on your behalf via the student batch scheme or you may send it yourself or make your application in person at a Home Office Premium Service Centre. It costs a lot more to make the application in person, but you should normally have your new visa within 10 days of the date of your appointment at the Premium Service Centre.

See Tier 4 application fees

If we send your application to the UKVI, they will return your visa and other documents to us. Please note that at busy times it may only be possible for us to check your application and documents before you post the application yourself.

It is vital that you read the Tier 4 Policy guidance carefully, get the necessary documents and complete the form before you attend your appointment as we will not have time to complete the form for you. 

At busy times of year we run visa workshops in which we show you how to complete the form and tell you what documents you need. If possible,  please come to a Tier 4 workshop before your appointment so that you know how to complete the form and what documents to bring. This will save you and us a lot of time.

If you are unable to come to a workshop, please complete as much of the form as you can before coming to see an adviser.

Further information and guidance

UK Council for International student affairs



You must be able to show that you have the required points under the Tier 4 (General) Student rules. Points are awarded as follows:

Points required: 40

Points awarded

Having a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies


Having enough money to cover course fees and monthly living costs (also known as maintenance or funds)